Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ice Cream scoop phone

I'm sitting at my kitchen table listening to music and watching Jackson be a complete goof ball. Everyday is an adventure with this little creature! Right now he is sitting on his MACK Truck with trailer power wheels and using an ice cream scoop to have the most interesting conversation ever. Now a days he seems to use everything as a 'phone' and it always cracks me up.

Now that I have my mommy mush moment out of the way, the reason I sat down to attempt at writing anything down is because I heard a song that I like and it made me think of all the times in my life where it seems that music has made me feel a certain way. I have always loved music, and have always had what others would describe as eclectic ( however I would describe it as diverse) taste in music. I have an affinity for Classic Rock and 80's music.....please keep the laughter to a minimum. When someone asks me what my 'all time favorite' band is, I honestly can't answer that because I have so many favorites!

There are so many songs that touch me actually, and I think it is a combination of the lyrics and the person/people singing it. So I figured I would do two things, first I will list some of the songs I love and why. The second thing is, ask everyone if they have special songs that make you feel a certain way or trigger a vivid memory. So here it goes! ( I should note that these aren't in order of my preference, I'm just getting them down as I think of them)

1. Grandpa (tell me about the good old days) - The Judds- Hearing this song brings me to tears almost instantly! I can't even really explain exactly why, I just love this song!

2.Careless Whisper - George Michael ( Seether has done an awesome cover of this one!) -When I hear this song, I have to crank it up, this one makes me feel sad! The song is about betraying trust in someone, and I think we have all done something to a friend or loved one that we've regretted, and wished we could say to the person how sorry we are.

3. Faithfully- Journey- OK I'll be honest, pretty much all Journey songs are awesome to me, but this one ...just gets me....again this one is always cranked up when on, I love this song because it so sweet, he is singing to his lover and telling her she is it. Who doesn't love a love song as epic as this?!

4. Apologize- One Republic- I feel like this song represents a few different times in my life, I've dedicated this song to soooo many different people in my head ...hahaha..now I just sound like a crazy person!

5. Return of the Mack - Mark Morrison - Wow. Whenever I hear this song, I have a very vivid memory from when I was a freshman in high school. Instantly I am 15 again, at the local roller skating rink with my two best friends and their boyfriends, as well as the boy I had the BIGGEST crush on. We had been skating for a little while when we decided to sit down for a little bit, I was sitting on one side of my crush and my friend was sitting on the other side of him, this song came on and my crush put his arm around me and started singing the song to me, I was on cloud nine! I came to find out later that this gem had his arm around me singing "return of the mack" while he had his other arm around the waist of my best friend. Nice huh?? Oh to be 15 again =]

Just to name a few of the MANY on my list. What are your songs and why? Maybe you just have one in particular, maybe you have 10! I'd love to know and have a listen! Will you share???

6 comments:

  1. Great Name! I love it. Here goes my weirdnes

    Arrested Development: Tennessee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40c6iAEHpc
    Emotion:Empowering
    All though I am not black and pround this song reminds me of trying to get through life. Asking for help to understanding the plan of it all. "I know you're supposed to be my stearing wheel not just my spare tire"

    Etta James: Stormy Weather
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgdJjvWIlJg
    Emotion: Warm and Loving
    One of my fave singers ever. The feeling I get has nothing really do with the words then it does the feel of how the music is played and the sound of her voice. I see a mom and dad slow dancing and just loving eachother while the sun shines through the window in their house, back in the fifties, while the kids giggle at them in the other room. You know the scene.

    There are more but those are the ones that stand out at this moment. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah can't forget
    George Michael: Faith
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0
    Emoition :Remembering
    This reminds me of my moms goofiness while dancing to this song, we had it on record. Walking home from school in Palmdale and stopping by the Carls Jr. to get a drink. My grandpa coming over and telling us to turn it off. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know there was one song I was going to put on my list, but I didn't want the post to be too long, but that song is Power of Love- Celine Dion...all because of your mom and her records!!!! I remember putting that record on in your living room, pookie in his diaper with no clothes on...I think Gabriel was a baby at the time, it was shortly before you guys moved....I loved hanging out at your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh there are so many songs that bring me back. I couldn't help but laugh reading Careless Whisper on your list ;)
    One of mine is Danny's Song by Me First & the Gimme Gimmes. When Steve and I were dating he said he wanted it to be our song so it was and through the years it still gets to me. The chorus is our little life to a t.

    Somewhere over the rainbow by Isreal Kamakawiwoʻole is one that makes me instantly burst into tears. Same with Only time by Enya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I agree with somewhere over the rainbow! By the way I loved having you at my house! I remember I was so broken hearted to leave you behind. I loved laughing with you. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously this is way after the fact and I could come up with a million. But the one(s) that always make me think of you are

    Blind Melon - No Rain
    STP - Dead & Bloated
    Aerosmith - Crazy
    and most importantly ...
    Greenday - (Anything on the Dookie album)

    It reminds me of you and me dancing around and signing like maniacs to them in your living room. It makes me miss those time we hung out and it's also weird because I refuse to sing to anything in front of anyone. Makes me think of how close we must have been then.

    ReplyDelete