Monday, February 1, 2010

New hobby

I am so excited this morning, I tracked my package from Amazon, and it will be delivered today!!

Since the economy has taken a huge dive, most of us have had to make adjustments to our lifestyles. I for one am a HUGE believer in trying to do things yourself before hiring someone to do it for you, granted there are things that you should NEVER try yourself, for example..Plumbing and Electricity....you could do more damage and possibly hurt yourself!!

Ok, so on to my new hobby, I have been utterly addicted to YouTube for about a year now...please no need for an intervention ..I'm perfectly aware of my addiction and no I will not go for treatment.

There are pages and pages of DIY gurus for Make-up, Hair, Nails, Skin and so on. Some of these ladies have never gone to school for these things, they chose to do it themselves and practice practice practice. These women are soo inspiring! One make-up guru is self taught, a woman who loves make-up and was tired of the "average sized" woman not feeling like we could fit in with others...she started with YouTube doing Make-up tutorials and now has her own make-up line which by the way is sold at one of the most recognized beauty stores...Sephora!!! Can you believe it?!

So I have called several schools and paid a visit to one... I will get to that in a minute...but as far as the money for the schooling it is pretty comparable for the 6-12 months that you attend, however in terms of payoff in the long run, you really need to be dedicated to furthering yourself, because lets face it, most Beauty School graduates don't stray farther than the local Salons and nail shops, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, I know many very talented people in the field, but unless you are really in love with it, does it really pay off lets say to graduate and work at a Cost Cutter?? I don't know and certainly not going to judge those that do.

So when I went to visit the one school, it was hilarious and disgusting all rolled into one giant ball of dissapointment. As we arrived and were ushered into the admin office and seated with the person responsible for all the new students, I was shocked to see a woman in her 40's wearing clothes 2 sizes to small, tongue ring, make-up caked on, hair looking like a cotton ball dipped in yellow and orange paint, with the communication skills of an 8th grader....lovely right? so as she is giving my mother and I the grand tour of the school I couldn't help but think, this woman works at a beauty school and she looks like this? Not the best first impression....then we go back to her office and she starts telling us about the various student financial aide programs.

Now coming from an escrow/real estate background I am pretty up to par with the way interest rates work......needless to say she had no clue as to what she was talking about, but you know what they say...."If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t"....I can't thinkof anything better to describe this woman....as she was baffling us with her you know what. chomping on gum, tongue ring in full view her cell phone rings and she starts yelling in another language to whomever was on the other line, hangs up and says some harsh language and looks up and says , kids...jesus christ you give them an inch and they take a mile.....wow professional.

I will never go back there again.....HA! So onto my point, thanks to the World Wide Web and Amazon, you can find just about any information you need, so taking cue from a few of the guru's on YouTube I have decided to take matters into my own hands..litterally and do my own nails.

Wow long story to such a short point right? Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment